Thursday, January 26, 2012

What are the best languages to learn to be a well paid Linguist/Translator?

I'm already pretty proficient in Spanish, not 100% fluent though, and I was learning Tagalog before as well. I am in my second semester of college and want to major in Languages. What would be the best ones to focus on? In order to achieve a point of having a decently paid profession in this. Thank you.What are the best languages to learn to be a well paid Linguist/Translator?
I am sorry, but to have a good career as a translator, a person must speak at least two languages with native-level fluency, which can seldom be learned in college. There is too much competition from people who are bilingual-bicultural from birth for others to have a much of a chance in this very competitive field. So, the answer is none.What are the best languages to learn to be a well paid Linguist/Translator?
Spanish will serve you much better than Tagalog.. being there a lot more Spanish speaker than Philipinos.. However, if there is a large population in your area.. It could be in greater demand, as there are also less bilingual for E/T.. where there are many E/S bilinguals..

Though.. the translators that are in high demand right now.. are actually for "Ebonics"..

I'm not kidding. I translate E/S.. and I was looking for extra work recently.. All the jobs in translation were for Ebonics.. The police need to catch all those drug dealers/gang bangers down in the ghettos.

Best wishes..

No comments:

Post a Comment